What makes highly successful people happier, less stressed, and more productive? One of the ways is how they start their mornings!
Successful people know that time is precious and the importance of having a productive morning. The morning is the foundation from which the rest of the day is built on and can predict the kind of day you’re going to have. How you choose to start your morning will have an impact on how you feel throughout the day. Choose to start your morning by being productive and you will feel happier and more refreshed throughout the day. Waking up late, rushing, and scrambling to get things done in the morning will cause you to feel more stressed and tired during the day.
Below is a list of 5 ways to get your morning off to a great start!
1) Wake up early – When you wake up before the rest of the world wakes up, you have time to focus on what you need to do before you get distracted by meetings, emails, and phone calls. Waking up at 5:30 am gives you more opportunities to fulfill your personal priorities first and do things that matter to you.
Tip: If you have a hard time getting up in the morning, try going to sleep earlier the night before and gradually wake up 10 minutes earlier each week for the next two weeks, or until you have no issues waking up to the new time. Then, wake up 20 minutes earlier for the next three weeks. Gradually wake up a few minutes earlier each time so that you barely notice the change from day to day. Read additional tips on how to wake up earlier.
2) Exercise – Many people put off exercising until later in the day, and then not end up exercising because they “ran out of time.” Whether it’s going to the gym, jogging around your neighborhood, or doing yoga, getting that exercise first thing in the morning helps reduce stress later in the day. It gives you a boost of energy for the day and that sense of accomplishment. Exercise has many benefits and not only will it make you think clearer, but you will also be healthier rand scientifically happier.
3) Eat a healthy breakfast – You most likely have heard people say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A healthy breakfast provides the nutrients and energy to jump-start your day. Your brain needs fuel and having that healthy breakfast can boost your productivity and focus. Eat “brain foods” that give you a mental edge, including eggs, nuts, oats, and fruits. If you don’t feel hungry in the morning, you might be eating too much for dinner.
Not only is having breakfast beneficial for your physical health, but it is a great opportunity to sit at the table and spend time with your family. Or if you live by yourself, you can read or listen to something positive and inspiring while you enjoy your bowl of oatmeal.
4) Focus on projects that require your full attention – Take advantage of the quiet hours of the morning and complete the most important projects early in the day when your willpower is still high. Having that time to yourself allows you to focus without being interrupted. Everyone has a dreaded task that they would like to procrastinate on. Instead of having it loom over you throughout the day, get it out of the way as early as possible and the rest of the day will be much easier. As tempting as it may be to check your Facebook, it’s a good idea to eliminate these distractions until you have completed the important work.
5) Plan your day – Benjamin Franklin once said, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” Planning can be done either the night before or the morning of. Spend a few minutes to write down the tasks and goals you want to achieve for the upcoming day. Prioritize and schedule your appointments. It’s also a good idea to refer back to your list during the day to help you stay on track. Make sure you schedule in some time to relax! Allotting time for breaks will help your day be more manageable and less stressful. In the evening, reflect on your day’s activities. Did you complete what you set out to do? If not, what could you have done differently?
Successful people also know that not only is it important to get a productive start to your morning, but it should be a habit. Keep the same routine every day and you will achieve the results you want. Just like successful people have a productive routine in the morning, they also practice good nighttime habits.