“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
Ever feel afraid to speak up in public? Or say how you feel or what’s on your mind? Want to overcome shyness and be more confident? First thing to note is that no one is born with confidence. Rather, confidence is acquired and developed.
Tips on How to Build Self Confidence:
1) Believe – To become confident, you have to first believe you can be confident. Don’t fill your mind with excuses why you can’t, that it takes too much work, or that you weren’t born confident. Remember, confidence is a learned behavior. When you believe you can accomplish something, your mind will look for ways to make it happen. So the first step in building confidence is to believe that you can be confident.
2) Change the way you think and speak – When you think negatively and give yourself reasons why you can’t do something, this will hurt your confidence. Eliminate negative thoughts and language, such as “this is impossible,” or “this won’t work.” On the other hand, positive thinking will build your confidence.
3) Speak up – When you don’t speak up because you’re afraid to look foolish, you become less confident of yourself. Make an effort to speak up at least once during group discussions and meetings. Not only does this build your self confidence, but you will also become a better public speaker.
4) Good posture – The way you carry yourself can have an effect on your confidence level. People who slouch and move lethargically display a lack of self confidence. So stand up straight, pull your shoulder blades back and pick your chin up. This might take a while to get accustomed to, especially if you have spent years developing poor posture. Keep this good posture for a month and you’ll be on your way to giving off a confident appearance.
5) Walk faster – Research has shown that you can actually change your attitude by changing the speed of your movement. By walking faster, you are showing that you have someplace important to be and something important to do. This will make you feel more important and boost your confidence.
6) Dress sharp – This doesn’t mean that you have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe to feel better about yourself. Where appearance is concerned, quality is more important than quantity. It is better to pay twice as much and buy half as many. Paying more for quality clothes will make you look and feel more important.
7) Make a list – Make a list of your talents, qualities, and accomplishments. Acknowledge that just like everyone else in the world, you have weaknesses. However, focus on your positive qualities and remind yourself of them every day if you need to.
8) Make eye contact – When you avoid making eye contact, you show that you’re afraid and that you lack confidence. Overcome this fear by making yourself look the other person in the eyes. This will increase your confidence.
9) Network with different people – If you’re at a social event, don’t just stick with people you already know. Network and talk to different people. If you meet anyone who seems confident, observe their behavior to see what exactly makes them appear confident.
10) Surround yourself with other confident people – Try not to associate with people who put you down or are constantly negative. When you are surrounded with optimistic people who are encouraging, you will feel more confident yourself.
11) Do something out of your comfort zone – Many times we avoid doing things out of our comfort zone because we are afraid, feel uncomfortable, and lack confidence. Practice doing something out of your comfort zone as it will build your confidence. When you do anything enough, it will become second nature and will no longer be out of your comfort zone.
12) Work out – By working out, you improve your physical appearance, which will in turn make you feel more confident. When you are out of shape, you are more likely to feel insecure, unattractive, and less energetic.
13) Practice, practice, practice – Just like anything else, your confidence will improve by practicing all these tips and techniques.