The American Express Blue Cash Everyday credit card offers generous cash back of 3% on the first $6,000 spent on groceries; 1% cash back after that, 2% on gas and select department stores, and 1% on all other everyday purchases. Avoid having to remember rotating bonus categories or the need to enroll for the cash back! Enjoy the benefits of an American Express cardholder with Blue Cash with no annual fees. This includes travel benefits, purchase protection, return protection, extended warranty, and other premium services.
Blue Cash Everyday at a Glance
|APR||0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months;
After Intro period, variable APR is 12.99% – 21.99%
|Foreign Transaction Fee||2.7%|
|Signup Bonus||Get $100 back after you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.|
|Good if you:||
|Bad if you:||
Let’s first take a more in-depth look at the advantages of the Blue Cash Everyday.
10 American Express Blue Cash Everyday Credit Card Benefits
1) 3% Cash Back at Supermarkets and 2% Cash Back at Gas Stations and Department Stores – The 3% cash back at supermarkets applies to purchases up to $6,000 per year. Once $6,000 is reached, all subsequent supermarket purchases will earn 1% cash back. However, you can keep earning 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select department stores, and 1% cash back on all other purchases without a limit.
2) 1% Cash Back on All Purchases – Some credit cards may give you great rewards for only a few categories but below-average rewards on everything else. Although the Blue Cash Everyday card caps the 3% cash back on groceries at $6,000, there is no cap on the 2% cash back at gas stations and department stores! Even after the $6,000 limit, you are still guaranteed unlimited 1% cash back when you spend at supermarkets. You can easily make the Blue Cash Everyday card your default credit card or use it in conjunction with another card.
3) Free $100 Bonus Sign Up – You receive a free $100 signup bonus in the form of a statement credit after you spend $1,000 on your credit card within the first 3 months of account opening.
4) No Annual Fee – Other American Express cards have an annual fee. For example, the Blue Cash Preferred has an annual fee of $75. However, with Blue Cash Everyday, you get to enjoy the benefits of an American Express card without having to pay any annual fee.
5) 0% Introductory APR for 15 months – The 0% introductory rate applies to purchases and balance transfers made within 15 months of account opening. After the introductory period, variable APR is 12.99% – 21.99%
6) No Rotating Categories – Unlike the Chase Freedom credit card or the Discover It credit card, which have changing bonus categories each quarter, the Blue Cash credit card does not have any rotating categories. Get 3% cash back at supermarkets, up to $6,000, and 2% cash back at gas stations and select departments anytime throughout the entire year. The cash rewards program is simple, where you earn cash back right away and no enrollment is needed. Avoid any hassle of having to remember changing bonus categories.
7) $50 Bonus Reward For Referring Friends & Family – When you refer your friends and family to the Blue Cash rewards credit card, you get 50 Reward Dollars, up to 550 Reward Dollars per calendar year. Your friends must apply through your referral link and be approved for the credit card in order for you to earn your referral bonus.
8) Flexibility to Carry a Balance or Pay in Full – American Express charge cards requires you to pay off your monthly balance in full. However, with Blue Cash credit card, you have the option to carry a balance and pay over a period of time, although doing so would incur interest charges.
9) Return Protection – If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date of purchase and the store refuses to take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price up to $300 per item excluding shipping and handling, up to a maximum of $1,000 annually. See other shopping benefits, including their purchase protection and extended warranty.
10) Low Threshold for Cash Back Redemption – Some cards only allow you to redeem rewards once you reach a certain threshold, often a high one. With Blue Cash Everyday, cash rewards are redeemable once you earn at least $25 Reward Dollars. You can redeem your points in the form of gift cards, merchandise, or as a statement credit.
How American Express Blue Cash Everyday Compares to Other Credit Cards
Blue Cash Everyday Disadvantages
Limits to earning cash back:
One disadvantage of the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card is that although, it offers a competitive 3% cash back at grocery stores, this is limited to $6,000 of combined purchases per year. However, you will still be eligible for 1% cash back after the limit is reached.
If you spend well over $6,000 at supermarkets, you may want to use the Blue Cash Everyday card in conjunction with another card. For example, to maximize your cash back on groceries, also consider getting the BankAmericard Cash Rewards card, which has 2% cash back at grocery stores, limited to $1,500 per quarter. This way, after you reach the $6,000 limit at supermarkets, instead of earning just 1% cash back, you can earn 2% cash back for another $1,500 in grocery purchases.
Other tips: Consider using Chase Freedom credit card on gas expenditure for the 6 months and on select department stores for the 3 months when they offer 5% cash back. Also, if you have BankAmericard, which offers 3% cash back at gas stations up to $1,500 per quarter, you may want to use it for gas before using the Blue Cash. Once the limit of $1,500 is reached on BankAmericard, use Blue Cash to earn 2% cash back on additional gas expenditure.
Blue Cash Everyday is generally for people with good to high credit. If you do not have a good credit score, you may not be approved right away or you may start off with a low credit limit.